I have always made my own Yam Fries and been impressed at how good they can taste with just a little spice, olive oil and the oven… so as soon as I saw these ideas for Zucchini and Carrots I knew I had to give them a try. I still can’t say I have tried the carrots but I have tried the Zucchini many times and each time I swear they are even better. Sometimes if I am feeling inspired by White Spot’s ZOO sticks I like to coat them in egg whites and toss them in bread crumbs. It is super easy and adds a little bit of crunch to them that misleads your brain to thinking it is eating fries 🙂
Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way to making some shockingly delightful savory treats that you can feel awesome about.
1. Preheat oven to 220 C/425 F
2. Cut your veg into 8-cm/3-inch sticks, making sure they are even in thickness.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper and a light layer of olive oil.
4. SEASON – go with the usual salt&pepper and branch out to try some other spices.
5. COAT- If you feel like making the ZOO sticks as I mentioned get a bowl of egg whites and dip the zucchini in it and then in some bread crumbs and go wild (or make your own bread crumbs).
Lightly toss your vegetable batons with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (not too much) and the herbs and spices.
6. Spread your seasoned veg over your lined tray and roast, tossing halfway through, for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly browned at the edges.